Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Year Number Two

Year two of teaching is about to start. I can't wait to get back in the classroom! I have missed my students this summer and am looking forward to revamping some of my lessons.

With the changes to our first day of school (40 minute periods instead of 80 minute blocks), I need to redo my first couple of days for most of my classes. Part of me doesn't want to bother teaching at all, since I only have 40 minutes and I already had 80 minutes worth of notes/homework printed off. However, it's a waste of instructional time to not teach anything that first day. Oh, what to do??? Perhaps I will do a review of solving equations and order of operations for 4 out of my 5 classes--get in some math, but then I don't have to rework my lessons.

After seeing my class lists, I'm a little anxious. I had one of my students in study hall last year, and he put GIANT spitballs on my blackboard. Needless to say... I'm a little nervous about him being in my class. Hopefully if I start off the year right, he won't be a problem.

After last year, I know I need to start the year of strictly. Put my foot down and be hard on the kids to start with--then I can let up later in the year. The problem is is that I don't do mean well. I need to practice what I'm going to say to them and make sure I come across as strict and that I won't put up with any crap in my room.

Here's to hoping for another great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment