Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why "A Year of Growth"?

Teaching is all about growth and change.  The students we see are typically different annually, the curriculum is always changing, the student grow throughout our one year of time with them, and we also grow and change.  I titled this blog "A Year of Growth" because I wanted to remind myself that each and every year is an opportunity to grow; to grow as an instructor, to grow as a mentor, to grow as an individual.  In my first three years, I have seen myself grow and change significantly in my teaching.  I believe my patience has increased (always important when dealing with 10th grade boys), I believe that I am more open to new techniques for my teaching.  My homework assignments and notes have grown--while I still teach in a very traditional format, I believe that many of my materials have improved over the last 3 years.  We have the unique opportunity as educators to reflect on the year(s) before and to grow as professionals and start fresh in September.  

I decided to start this blog three years ago as a way to keep track of all the marvelous things that happen inside a classroom; whether it was a student saying something funny or a great lesson.  Unfortunately, I have never been confident in my writing and the joys/labors of teaching always seemed to get in the way.  I have also been a math blog lurker for the last 3 years--getting great ideas for worksheets/lessons/etc from this amazing community.  I have shared posts with my colleagues when I have found good ideas that weren't specific to my content and believe that this is the best professional development I have had over the last 3 years (even if the district doesn't count it).  My hope is that this year I will do a better job of documenting my year of growth, even if it is just posting once a week.  By documenting what I do, it should allow me to see my changes and reflect on the good and bad of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment