Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back to School Night

My second ever Back to School night is over. It is such a whirlwind and I don't feel like I really get to "meet" parents, especially in my larger classes. There are certainly some parents who I get to talk with a lot, as they stay late to discuss their child, but for the most part, it's a chance to see some faces once.

This year I found myself sitting on top of a student desk when talking with most of my groups of parents. Probably not the most professional of practices... however, it made me feel more like I was having a conversation with the parents instead of talking at them. I also found myself "um"ing a lot--and a lot more than I think I do in class. Talking to those parents (all of which are significantly older than me) is totally intimidating.

One thing I would like to do next year is to stand at the door and shake each parent's hand when they come in and find out which child is theirs. In my Geometry classes, I only know the parents who made a point to come talk to me. I hope that gives me a little more of the personal connection I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment