Monday, September 27, 2010

Parallel Lines, Skewed Thoughts?

Today's classes were a challenge to my patience. Both my Core classes finished their lessons on parallel lines, and they really seemed to struggle with the terminology. Block 1 seemed half asleep, which considering that today was Monday is not to be surprising. Block 3 came in (after 3 starts) and seemed to have it totally together. The first 10 minutes the students were participating, getting answers, etc. And then... they seemed to fall apart on me.

I try very hard to call on every student at least once a class. I was taught that this is an important way to check for understanding, and that in doing this, I need to allow an adequate amount of wait time. Since my Block 3 class is so large, the students do not have to respond to a lot of questions, and some of the students can "hide" for a while in the class. I found today that some of them are not paying any attention whatsoever. We did one example where the angles were all (all 3 of them) were consecutive interior angles. The second example had the SAME kinds of angles in it and the students just stared at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Even while prompting certain students through, it was like pulling teeth and I kept getting "I don't know" for answers. I do not accept "I don't know" as an answer, and try to lead the students to the answers.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the course/in teaching that I am getting responses like this. I am a little frustrated with the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment